[CQ-Contest] Contest Rig

k3bu at optonline.net k3bu at optonline.net
Fri Jun 2 11:20:33 EDT 2006

With INRAD roofing filter and IF filters mod, I would put it right there with workhorses FT1000D and IC781. Another beauty is that you can have three or four filters cascaded. I also find AN or DSP on CW probably the best of all. Ergonomics and controls are excellent, Orion could have learned a thing or two from Omni. It's a keeper here, no quitting mind of its own :-)

Just a note about possibly the best RX of all times - modified R4B. If you install narrow Sherwood "roofing" filter, modify mixer, split RF and IF gain control, replace preselector tube with 6EJ7 and tweak the IF cans, it is hard to beat. Preselector tuned in gang gives excellent out of band rejection, one sharp Sherwood Xtal filter with following LC IF cans has the lowest ringing from the static crashes, better than R4Cs. No phase noise from synthesizers, da RX for weak signal reception on low bands.

The DR1 is brewing slowly, catching up with circuit, DSP and computer advances. Contesters wil be first to know when ready for prime time. No half baked junk will be released.

Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU