[CQ-Contest] Contest Rig

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 3 09:20:31 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 19:49, Bill Tippett wrote:
>          Also keep an eye on Flex-Radio.  The new SDR-X
> promises some very innovative solutions to QRM,
> (such as totally eliminating an offending station
> including in-band splatter).  Their direct-conversion

Good point; I don't think current DSP firmware (in any radio) comes
anywhere near reaching DSP's potential.

I just bought a HD radio.  (USA version of DAB - editorial comments in
private email on request...)  On the MW (AM) band, the digital signal is
transmitted in the two adjacent frequencies - for a station whose analog
signal is on 700KHz, the digital is transmitted in 685-695 and 705-715.
Obviously, any stations on 680-690-710-720 get pretty well trashed.

Except on the HD set, which receives them clearly!  (in analog mode)
Its DSP circuitry is able to remove in-channel QRM.

Our current ultra-sharp filters, autonotches, and noise reduction are
only the tip of the iceberg.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66