[CQ-Contest] CQ WPX question

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Mon Jun 5 09:44:14 EDT 2006

My 40-meter loop is a double-turn, two full wavelengths of wire.  The loop
is 12 feet high and 56 feet long.  The two turns are separated by 18
inches. It came from an article in one of the ARRL Antenna Compendiums.

It performs as two phased verticals.  According to NEC2, the main lobes
have about 6 or 7 dB over a dipole. The "catch" is that it's not
rotatable. I'm sure someone with more time and money than I have could
figure out how to rotate it but I'm not going to bother.

Yet it is one continuous piece of wire.  I would count it as a "single
element" by that standard.

Am I incorrect?

73, Zack W9SZ