[CQ-Contest] FT1000D interface/roofing

Mark Steven Williams k9gx at n4gn.com
Tue Jun 6 02:01:39 EDT 2006

A big "thank you" to K4WI, N3UA, WK6I, K4JRB, W4EF and K7VS for the insights regarding the FT1000 interface. Bob, NX5M suggested the K1NU cable which I think I'm gonna try. Andy, AE6Y offered some very helpful tips on the radio firmware; Steve, K0SR sent a schematic for a level converter (which I may still build) and Jeff's, WK6I, comments on the roofing filter mod confirmed my suspicions.

I used the radio "as is" (without the roofing mod) during the WPX CW. Actually I spent most of the time just listening to get a feel for the radio's performance under contest conditions. Bear in mind that I operated SSB Sweepstakes and January NAQP Phone with a "stock" Icom 746. Feel like I've just been exorcised from Intermod hell! Effective immediately the 746 becomes the 6m Es/VHF contest radio.

Anyway, thanks guys for the great info! It will be put to good use.

CU on the radio!

73, Mark, K9GX