[CQ-Contest] Have You Operated From Curacao?

Jeff Maass jmaass at columbus.rr.com
Sun May 28 17:11:54 EDT 2006

Next year marks 40 years since Chet Brandon PJ9EE
developed and built the Coral Cliffs Hotel on Curacao,
in doing so starting a long history of Amateur Radio
operation (especially contest operation) from that
island. Some of the history can be seen at:
http://asgard.kent.edu/ccc/signal.point.home.htm.

>From 1970 through 2000, John Thompson W1BIH owned and
operated from the house which became famous as PJ9JT in
that area. RadioTeam Finland operated as PJ9W from the
area in the CQWW contests in 1990, setting all-time Multi-
Multi records. (http://www.qsl.net/oh6yf/pedition/pj9w90.htm)
And today, PJ2T operates from the same house that housed
PJ9JT (http://asgard.kent.edu/ccc/pj2t.station.overview.htm).

We are gathering historical data about all Amateur
Radio operations from the Coral Cliffs / Sunset
Waters / Santa Marta Bay / PJ9JT area of Curacao.

If you have operated from this area in the past 40
years, please send me an email with the approximate
dates of your operation, callsign(s) used, and
operator(s) participating. If you have any QSL cards of
any of these Curacao operations, we'd appreciate JPEG
scans of them (both sides).

We will use the information to enhance our historical
records, as well as to prepare a commemoration of the 40th
anniversary next year.

Please respond directly to me off-list at k8nd(at)arrl.net.

73,

Jeff Maass  K8ND

Station Manager  PJ2T,
  Caribbean Contesting Consortium