[CQ-Contest] Contest Rig

N7MAL N7MAL at CITLINK.NET
Wed May 31 20:53:18 EDT 2006

HUH..??.. I'm confused.. I'm sitting in front of a MKV and in the upper right hand corner are 3 little push button switches used to select filters. I'm only a CW contester and have no SSB filters but do have CW filters. I use those switches regularly during contests. Yes when you originally install the filters you need to activate them from the menu, but that's only once.
To answer the original posting I wouldn't trade the MKV for anything. I've been contesting for approx 50 years and have used everything from S-lines to C-lines to Icoms and Kenwoods. This MKV blows all those radio's away hands down. For CW contesting and really big CW pile-ups I especially like the front panel audio filters. A mandatory filter is a narrow CW filter for the sub-receiver.
73

MAL
N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm
http://geocities.com/n7mal/
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff Maass
  To: 'AD5VJ Bob' ; CQ Contest
  Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 22:08
  Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig

  Bob:

  Yaesu screwed with the filter switching from the
  front panel with the MkV and Field. On the original
  MP you can select any combination of 2nd and 3rd IF
  filters from the panel. In the MkV and Field, you
  have to access the menu system (uggh).

  There are other issues as well.

  There was an article in NCJ soon after the MkV came
  out which listed the reasons that the MP beat out the
  MkV as a contest rig. I can't tell you the issue, but
  a Google should find it.

  73,

  Jeff Maass  K8ND

  Station Manager  PJ2T,