[CQ-Contest] why Unlimited [aka Assisted]?

Gerard Lynch gerrylynch at freenetname.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 16:38:08 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <kr2q at optonline.net>

> So - I am looking at the SS results summary (thanks Dink) on 3830.  I note
> that (currently)
> the number 1 slot for SO HP Unlimited has the same score as the number 10
> slot for SO HP
> "not unlimited."

In 2005 I went low power assisted in WPX CW - came 3rd in Europe and 4th in
the World with just a 42 metre long doublet (admittedly having my local
club's contest call of M2W - a unique prefix - helped, but probably not as
much as you'd think).  Now, the reason I did that was because I was having a
fierce but friendly contest with a few pals to see who could work the most
DXCC over the year on HF in a low sunspot year.  But I think I would just
about have scraped into the Top 10 in Europe and probably not been in the
Top 50 world wide without cluster.  Got me a nice plaque.

Nearly all the best operators operate without cluster, which makes the
assisted category a lot less competitive.

73

Gerry G0RTN
Vanity Page at http://www.gerrylynch.co.uk
"In days of old, when ops were bold, and sidebands not invented,
The word would pass, by pounding brass, and all were well contented."