[CQ-Contest] section names, SD v SDG

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed Nov 8 23:15:50 EST 2006

I wouldn't assume that.

We saw a couple of stations in San Diego sending SD instead of SDG in the Pa
QSO Party last month, so when in doubt, we asked and confirmed if it was one
or the other.  Some folks simply assume that we'll assume a 6 sending or
saying "SD" is short for San Diego.

For that matter, also during the Pa QSO Party, we worked one 6 station who
sent his section as "LANG."  Very insistent on it, because that was the
"new" 4 letter designation for LA COUNTY.

When I took the mike for a moment and pointed out to him that in PaQP, we
worked ARRL/RAC sections outside of PA, he informed me that he had been a
contester for 20-ought years and knew that I was wrong and that he was right
and that he had to send us his new county designation...

...because he read it on the CQ-Contest reflector, and that that was the
mandate from those "idiots in Newington," so that's what he was going to
do... (and please don't argue with me, that's what he said!  Of course, this
same gentleman asked us who the bonus station was... and we told him that we
were... and his response was "are you sure?"  so I have to wonder if this
was someone simply yanking our chains, so to speak)

There were a couple of others also sending LANG instead of LAX, but this one
stuck in my mind.

73, ron w3wn