[CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes: Should I be penalized for getting my license in 2000?

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed Nov 8 23:29:31 EST 2006

Jeff, FWIW, you are absolutely correct.  That's what the rules say, that's
what's supposed to be done.

The reality is that some people don't follow that rule.  Some like K0HB (not
to pick on him, but he did own up to it, which is more than a lot do) change
it each year -- or even between CW & Phone -- so that you have to actually
copy it, not "remember" it via a software database of one sort or another.
Some go with the year they got a particular call, or were relicensed, or
whatever.  Some club station ops go with the year THEY were first licensed,
not the year the CLUB was first licensed... or the year the club got their
current call, etc. and so forth.

The reality is that the log checkers at ARRL may not have a way of knowing
what year you were first licensed, and since they don't consider that
significant, they instead ensure that if I say I worked you, my log shows
the check you sent, whatever it is.

I could just imagine the outcry if they DQ'd or check logged a decent number
of logs on the grounds that they sent the wrong check.  Wonder how many
contesters would threaten to sue?  (BTW, I know a great lawyer, and he's
licensed, too... but I digress).  So I doubt that it would happen.

We should not be disregarding the rules, but the reality is that this one
isn't strictly enforced, if at all.

73, ron w3wn