[CQ-Contest] SS Packet DANGER, DANGER, Will Robinson!!!

Robert Naumann w5ov at w5ov.com
Thu Nov 16 00:55:45 EST 2006

Rick,

I don't think that changing to M is what you need to do.

ARRL General Rule # 3.14 says:

	3.14. In contests where spotting nets are permissible, spotting your
own station or requesting another station to spot you is not 	permitted.

I think your plea for an NL multiplier is essentially spotting yourself and
clearly violates this rule. While you didn't only spot your own station, you
also announced that you were looking for a particular multiplier.

So, since both Single Op Unlimited and Multi-ops are both precluded from
doing this, you should change your entry to a Checklog rather than changing
from U to M.

CQ uses the term "passive" use of packet (or internet spotting networks).
Passive use implies that you connect to the cluster, you receive spot
information from others, and you post spot information to help others.

I think it would be good if the ARRL were to follow CQ in using the same
passive/active definition. I am certain that the intent is the same, but the
wording is just different.

There also is no fuzzy line between U and M categories. In "U", only one
person does all the work. In "M" more than one person timeshares the work
with the others at that same station. The people out there on the packet
(Internet spotting) network are not part of either entries' operation.

73,

Bob W5OV