[CQ-Contest] For $0.99 you get... [was: SS Packet DANGER, DANGER, Will Robinson!!!]

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Mon Nov 20 11:33:59 EST 2006

On Nov 19, 2006, at 6:42 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

> [...]

	The first thing to go would be that "etc"!

	All anyone has to do is plug in their slightly related "condition"
and apply it to the rule.

But let's look at what the rule means.

	The rule is there to disallow the use of methods of figuring out who
is where, in  order to gain a competitive advantage over stations not
using those methods. The rule does state what isn't allowed. That is
the idea behind the rule.

	Now we go on to questions:

	If someone tells me that such and such is 10 KHz up, is that spotting?

	That is not in the intent of the rules. That does not confer any
particular advantage to the Op. If we are going to call that
assisted, we'll need to get VERY specific. Is the use of a bandscope
on radios such as the IC-756 in the Assisted category? You're not
getting specific callsigns, but it does tell you where traffic is.
How about mailing lists where people say they will be operating from
such and such place?

	Sounds ludicrous, eh? Such is the results when we play "bust the
rules".

	Much better to read the rule as no packet spotting, No Internet
spotting, no net spotting. If further clarification is needed, an
addition can be made that  if you use any * organized *  method that
is designed to inform you of where other Amateurs are operating in
the contest is used, it changes your class.

IOW, when another Amateur tells you that so and so is running at
another frequency, it is not an organized function, and you are under
no penalty to either ignore or act on that information.

	Otherwise we get into endless weird "what if" loops.

-73 de Mike KB3EIA -