[CQ-Contest] For $0.99 you get... [was: SS Packet DANGER, DANGER, Will Robinson!!!]

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Mon Nov 20 16:02:46 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:33:59 -0500, Michael Coslo <mjc5 at psu.edu>
 wrote:

>Now we go on to questions:
>
>	If someone tells me that such and such is 10 KHz up, is that spotting?
>
>	That is not in the intent of the rules. That does not confer any
>particular advantage to the Op. If we are going to call that
>assisted, we'll need to get VERY specific. Is the use of a bandscope
>on radios such as the IC-756 in the Assisted category? You're not
>getting specific callsigns, but it does tell you where traffic is.
>How about mailing lists where people say they will be operating from
>such and such place?

"Assistance" in the context of contesting means from a human being who
is feeding you information about another station. A bandscope does not
display information from another person, whereas a packet spot does.

The concept is pretty simple. Is someone feeding you info or not? Are
you actually using the information or not? Answer those two questions
and your class of operation will become clear.

Bill, W6WRT