[CQ-Contest] QRM in DX Window

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Nov 20 22:54:08 EST 2006

W7MAL asks:

> The bottom line is why is what contesters do more important
> the what Doers do on a well established 10 kHz window, a window
> which is endorsed by the ARRL? Yes there should be give-n-take
> but we are talking about 10 kHz exempt with 240 kHz remaining
> for SSB contesting.

Why is it that certain licensees think they should have a "right"
to any frequency or set of frequencies free of QRM 24 x 7 x 365
whether they are using them at the time or not?  Why is it that
certain licensees think their licenses should give them priority
access to scarce frequencies over other similarly licensed stations?
What is it about certain malcontents that they think band plans have
a higher standing the FCC regulations?  What is it about "under
'normal' conditions" that some operators cannot comprehend?  It's
not just so called Doers on 75, it's the SSTV boys and the various
"net" operators ... all of whom think their "private" frequencies
should be kept free of all others +/- 5 KHz at all times just in
case someone from the "in group" decides they want to make use of
the frequency.

Well, it ain't so ... frequencies are a shared resource available
to all properly licensed amateurs on a first-come, first-served
basis.  When other frequencies are full conditions are far from
"normal" and you have absolutely no right, moral or legal, to
dictate that others cannot use frequencies that you are not using
at that time.

Mal, if you don't want SSB contesters using 3790-3800 during
phone contests get on there and keep it busy making contacts.
Similarly, if you don't want SSB contesters using 7000-7040
get on there and make real QSOs!  Don't come around here and
bitch about those who really make use of the frequencies two
or three weekends a year.