[CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 09:08:37 EST 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Mike Fatchett mike at mallardcove.com

I was not watching my score but I did notice that I was 20 Qso's behind the next guy and had wished I had beat him!
<snip>
Maybe a web page is not the best way to get that info to the op.  Maybe you get updates every 10 mins that are displayed in your logging program or maybe a ticker that rolls across the bottom of the screen etc.  The web page is just one delivery system.

Mike,
You are echoing the comments that VHFers who have used the more proprietary RFSport.com Logger system have echo'd.  That logging system has a "scoreboard pane" embedded right in the logger.  By watching your competition's score in near real time, people have been motivated to "dig in" and try to catch up/pass others.

Someone else mentioned that family members became engaged by periodically checking to see how their participating spouses/parents were doing.  "THAT is what I'm talkin' about!"  Excitement from non-Amateurs will draw more into our hobby.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV