[CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Thu Oct 5 09:26:23 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/5/2006 7:44:33 A.M. Central Standard Time,
n4gi at tampabay.rr.com writes:

And the  fact that we in the U.S. LOVE deed restricted communities
doesn't  help...

73,
Blake N4GI

Blake,

I think we need to accept the challenge of deed restricted  contesting.  I
fear the degeneration of contesting to merely one multi-op  superstation working
another.  The small single-op players  are vitally important to the future of
contesting, IMHO.

I've had a great contest experience for the past 13 years from a CCR
neighborhood.  I use #22 and #24 wire for my antennas.  Hardly anyone  notices, and
since there is no visual impact, nobody seems to care.

I got smart and finally installed roof shrouds with 1.5-3" openings.
Now,from the attic, I can push black PVC and/or fiberglass masts (in 4'  sections)
up through the shroud opening.  I put the feedline inside.   For day-to-day
operations, I keep the antennas less than 10' above the roofline,  but I can
raise them quite a bit higher for contests if necessary.  A  roofer installed the
two shrouds (about $5 each) for $30, and did it in about 20  minutes.  I had
already cut a couple of 3 inch holes from inside the attic  with a power jig
saw.

I can also now do most of my antenna work inside the attic.  This same
technique could be used for vertical arrays, and I intend to install phased
verticals in the attic for the upcoming cycle, about 8-10' will stick up out of  the
roof, so it will be a semi-indoor antenna. I have a neighbor who loves  phone
contesting, I'm encouraging him to do what I've done.

Anyway, those who play in contesting are hooked, deed restrictions needn't
be the death knell of our sport.

Paul, K5AF