[CQ-Contest] zero pointers

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 31 01:56:01 EST 2006

The zero pointers are a strange artifact of the CQWW rules.

To the Big Guns I say:

1.  Call CQ DX/VE to scare off newbies who think they are doing you a favor
with
a stateside QSO.  I hate to say before there was an internet to read the
rules, that
I fell into that category in my foolish youth.

2.  When QSO rates are extremely low, to allow zero pointers to work you.  I
think
there is no better advertising than to make a QSO.  A zero pointer QSO might
get the attention
of a 3 pointer for the big gun.  I think this happened this weekend after I
made a zero pointer
with a Big Gun, another station gave the Big Gun a call right away.

To the Little Pistol S&Pers out there (like me) I say:

1.  Don't call the same Big Gun for zero points on every band.  Call K3LR on
one band,
W3LPL on another and AA3B on a 3rd band.

2.  Realize that they are doing you a huge favor.  Only call the Big Gun
when they sound
bored.  Never call when they have a pileup or a run going.

3.  Try to get zones 3, 4, 5 from the VE's.

Tim K6GEP