[CQ-Contest] LOTW & Forums vs. "reflectors"

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Sat Aug 11 09:46:45 EDT 2007

>  But why clutter my machine?  With Forums, the thread and all posts
> are right there, accessible with a couple of mouse-clicks.  More to
> my liking, I can access them from anywhere I can get Internet access
> anytime I want, so I'm not dependent on items of interest I've
> archived as outlined in Paragraph 2, above, if I'm not at my home
> machine.  I don't have to A. remember where the email list archives
> are located,

You have to remember where the forum is on the Internet.
BTW for a quick link to the lists that run on contesting.com
go here:

http://www.contesting.com/

And then follow the link in the left menu area.

> C. use a crappy search function (MailMan's is a right bitch unless
> you're very careful with the Search strings).

Many of you that read CQ Contest (or any list on contesting.com) might
not be aware that most of the contesting.com lists are archived
on the web in two different archivers.  All of the posts are archived
in the archiver that is built in to the mailman software.  For the
CQ-Contest list that version of the archives lives here:

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/

Several years ago we added another version of the archives
that have a much better (in my view) look and feel.  These
also have a built in indexing system that allows you to search
the archives fairly well.  Of course you can also use Google to
search all of these lists.  This version of the archives live here:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/

You can get to either of these archives from the 'list info' page:

And you can get to the list info page for any list from the home
page menu at:

http://www.contesting.com/

You can also get there by an even more direct route by going
to this URL:

http://lists.contesting.com/

--
George Fremin III - K5TR