[CQ-Contest] cheating with packet

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Tue Dec 11 07:50:32 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <steve.root at culligan4water.com>

> Exactly! How would you prove you WEREN'T using packet?

It's not so difficult - when all logs are published.

Cheaters tend to have a shorter average time between spot
and QSO than those who are not cheating.  Cheaters, by
nature, are greedy and won't wait a significant time to
bag the mults.

In WRTC 2006, there was a certificate offered for anyone
who worked at least 25 of the WRTC teams.  I found my 25
the hard way, but some other EIs ("unassisted", of course)
used packet.

The evidence for this is contained in an analysis done by
Fabian DJ1YFK, based on the published logs of the WRTC
stations and announced on this mailing list under the
title "WRTC Spot/Log Correlation" in September 2006.

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/2006-September/069287.html

It's worth reading, and examining the raw data - but it
takes a bit of effort.

A similar analysis is possible for any contest that publishes
logs - including CQWW.

73,
Paul EI5DI