[CQ-Contest] Torture

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 15 16:46:31 EST 2007

Well, I am not going to join a list just to be bad mouthed...

  Anyway, I ran into the typical 'non contestor'  operator 2 nites ago... Tuning up the band at evening grayline I hear a JA calling on 160.... Very weak but workable...  I have the Orion cranked down to 300 cycles in heavy qrn... When he stands by I call him... When I stand by, there is a 40 over signal right on my frequency calling me a LID and that I am jamming DX... Well, when he gets done venting his spleen I open up the passband and 800 cycles upband there is the beginning of an enormous pile endlessly calling for a DL... They never do stand by, but just call and call and I never hear any of them work the "dx"....  The JA calls twice more and then gives up...

  I assume my angry op was really frustrated so I have no ill will...  I do however give him ZERO points for skill and knowledge... There is not a major CW contest that I have ever entered where you have over a half kc of elbow room during rush hour...  This boy would not last 5 minutes in CQWW - and, he totally missed a juicy JA.... But hey, what do I know, I'm just one of those  *^&)%$#@  contestor types.....

denny / k8do