[CQ-Contest] CQWWDX origin of SO-Assisted

kr2q at optonline.net kr2q at optonline.net
Thu Dec 20 21:38:02 EST 2007

Hi all:

This is to the best of my recollection.  YMMV.

In the beginning (gosh, sounds deep)....there was Single-OP, Multi-Single, and M/M.

During the mid-1980's, Packet started gaining momentum and there was consternation
about how to treat it.  Was it single-op or mult-op?  For a time, there was not quite
consensus that it was the same as multi-op and that is how entrants were expected
to enter.  But the entrants didn't really agree.

So what was happening was that we were forcing the entrants to "cheat" (cuz they
were using packet but entering single-op).  As I recall, it was K1AR who pushed the
issue by using packet and then submitting his log as M/M (even though he was the
only op).  His logic was that M/S had a 10-minute rule, which he had violated, so his
only recourse was to enter M/M.  We all thought that made it obvious that we really
needed a new category.

So in a room at Dayton, a bunch of us agreed to agreed to create the SO-A category.
I don't remember who "named" it (that name was not my choice), but I'm thinking it
was K1DG (again, I could be wrong).  There was a vote and SO-A stuck.  SO-A became
a category of entry in 1989 (at least according to the CQWW Contest Handbook,
1994 Edition).  I sure don't remember the year myself, but I'm confident the book has it
right.

This won't solve anything being debated here, but I thought the history might be interesting.

de Doug KR2Q