[CQ-Contest] Amplified headphones

Tom Osborne w7why at verizon.net
Wed Jan 3 00:32:09 EST 2007

Hi All

A few months ago (right after SS SSB) I posted a query about amplified
headphones for people (me) wearing hearing aids.  It seemed it was just
getting harder and harder to copy those callsigns.  I got lots of good
answers and some good suggestions.  Also found that there are a lot of
people out there besides me wearing them.

The problem with the Heil headset I have was that when I put them on, the
hearing aids would squeal, or not be loud enough.  Gets very frustrating.

Well, this Christmas my sweet wife bought me a pair of Radio Shack 900 Mhz
cordless headphones, and boy, they have opened a new world of contesting.  I
can use them with or without the hearing aids on by turning the headphones
up or down.   It really makes hearing those weak signals a whole bunch
easier.  You can also take a potty break and still keep an eye on your run
frequency :-)  If you have a hearing problem, this could really make things
a lot better.  73 and HNY!
Tom W7WHY