[CQ-Contest] Stadiums as venues for Contest Stations

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 6 15:41:20 EDT 2007

  Back in the late 1980's and early 90's when I was attending Ohio State I operated at W8LT. Our club station was located in a room on the 4th floor of the Horseshoe. I have many fond memories of that time. Around that time we have quite a few members that were contesters - N8VW, KC8MK (now K8MK),  WD8IXE ( N8SM SK), K3JT, WD8LLX (now W8LX), KC3N (now KC5R) and myself.

 We had a couple towers on top of the stadium with various antennas over the years. We also had the famous W8LT 600 foot longwire which ran from the stadium and across a busy street to the bottom of the smoke stack for the power plant. I remember putting up various wire beams , bobtails etc... from the high supports we had. I remember one year a bobtail for 80 meters was put up in the open end of the stadium for a contest. Those were some fun times. Unfortunately W8LT is no longer located at the stadium. See http://www.w8lt.org/content/view/14/28/ for some old historical pictures.

Jeff KU8E