[CQ-Contest] New Radios

Marijan Miletic', S56A s56a at bit.si
Fri Jul 6 15:45:55 EDT 2007

CT1BOH wrote: the ability to dig weak signals in the presence of very strong nearby signals.

I read recently a simpler definition of RX:  The ability to receive desired signal and reject ALL others!

With present day semiconductors sensitivity is easy, DSP and quarz crystal technology helps with filtering.
Superheterodyne in still prelevant HF architecture and first IF should be preferably three times above highest
input frequency in order to reduce intermodulation problems.  However, marketing gurus found a niche for
oldfashioned CW operators willing to spend thousands of dollars on gadgets with better IMD3 at 2 kHz.
I wrote once that I experienced busy hamradio bands only in Silicon Valley at WRTC-1996.  I am sure
there are no strong nearby signals at CT3 with the exception of TV ones!

I guess QEX reading of G3RZP and SM5BSZ articles is difficult so we discuss the size of main knobs instead.

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

Disclaimer:  Using FT-1000MP after IC-735, worked on almost all other radios.