[CQ-Contest] ARRL "endorses" cut numbers

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Jun 6 09:02:16 EDT 2007

I don't think NE6I's point is valid at all.  "._" is just as legitimate a
code for "1" as "._ _ _ _".  But copying and submitting A for "._" in a
serial number is just silly, and sending "._" when most people are
expecting a full 1 just causes confusion.  It took 20 years or so for "N"
to become generally accepted for "9" in the RST formula.

John, K4BAI, made the best practical point - if you are expecting each
number to be composed of 5 elements, then cut numbers using 4 elements
create ambiguity that virtually demands a repeat.

73, Pete N4ZR