[CQ-Contest] 807s

Sam Neal n5af at usa.net
Wed Jun 13 02:03:37 EDT 2007

Hello,

My Elmer, the late Bert Runyon  W5PDE ( licensed 1947 +- ), a builder of
home-made rigs, explained that the 807 was just a little harder to " tame " or
use than other tubes, that it sometimes had to be neutralized, and is seldom
seen as a crystal oscillator - thus being a little " wilder " than other
tubes, it was associated with the aforementioned alcoholic beverage.

73,

Sam Neal  N5AF
Celebrating 50 years in amateur radio

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 807s

Not off topic, completely, because I first heard the reference at the first
Field Day I attended in 1955,
but does anyone in this esteemed audience know the
reason why, and when, a "cold 807" first became a beer reference?

Barry, W5GN