[CQ-Contest] RTTY "Listening"

sawyered at earthlink.net sawyered at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 13:03:08 EDT 2007

I am not a RTTY op so I can't comment on the need to listen or not.

But I am a low power CW Contester, and as such, I spend more than my fair share of time CQing between 7030 - 7080, 14060 - 14100, and 21060 and 21100.

I can categorically state that SOME RTTYers are adament that these are their frequencies and that it gives them the right to intentionally QRM contesters.  I can't get through A CONTEST without at least a few RTTYers opening up with RTTY dead nuts on my CQing frequency at S7 - S9plus on a frequency I have often been on for 10 mins to over an hour CQing.

Trust me, when I run my 100W into a 2-stack of 4 element monobanders and you are S9 on my meter, I am S7 - S9 plus on yours.

There is no call for it, speakers or not.  A few times I have actually listened to see if another RTTY station has responded to them.  Sometimes they haven't, and the person is still blasting me on the frequency that I occupy.  One of these days, I am going to get on RTTY just to respond to these "idiots" and surprise the hell out of the when I say "get off the frequency.  QRL".  And then go back to my CW Contest.

If anyone doubts this, you are obviously a RTTYer wearing rose colored glasses.

I could think of nothing, I mean nothing, that would turn me off of a contest more, than having RTTY and CW on at the same time (despite being listed in the contest section of ARRL's web site, FD is not a contest...hi).

73

Ed  N1UR