[CQ-Contest] Spotting AD Nauseum

DL8MBS prickler.schneider at t-online.de
Sat Mar 10 04:15:26 EST 2007

Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX wrote:

>The parallel argument does not work at all. QRP is plenty of honest people. Not so the Low power categories, but well, that should be another problem to be taken care of.

IMHO the comparison between power- and cluster-categories is perfectly
valid. One of the standard arguments for abolishong
unassisted-categories is "Cheating with cluster/packet cannot be
proven". That sounds like double standards in comparison to continuing
power categories - which are completely out of any reasonable control
and only up to operator´s honesty. It is less difficult to chase
cluster-cheating (see DJ1YFK´s recent statistics) than to prove
power-cheating.
But of course organizers are free (and perhaps forced) to do what is
more popular: allowing casual and competetive participants assistance by
others via cluster/packet (and relieve the otherwise necessary strain
for their VFO-tuning finger) and at the same time keeping up with the
popular LP-categories. It may be justified with a supposed bigger impact
of power than with that of external assistance. But arguments based on
chances to prevent cheating sound more like: "We can´t nail those
power-cheaters (and there also qrp-results making one think a lot), so
we do want to nail those packet-cheaters. Seems like there is no easy
escape from the mild shizophrenia of a competition (it´s called contest
not activity weekend) based more or less on the assumption of honesty.

73, Chris

(www.dl8mbs.de)