[CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

Professional Home Inspections mackanos at rpa.net
Mon Mar 19 08:04:35 EST 2007

Hi Dave & the rest of the group.

I was just going to reply to Dave, but figured it should go to all to let
you know my thoughts.

 Yes, there are many ideas on this topic, and I think all have a right to
their ideas. In my case, I live in an area where I cannot operate, due to
the YL hating wires (that means NO antennas), and about 300 feet from 3
doctors office buildings, there is NO way to even listen to a radio with all
the rf from the medical machines during the working day. So, I put a ton of
$$$$$ and time into the remote site. I could not walk, fly or whatever on a
road that is up and down and twisty and has snow and glare ice on its
surface. I walked in there 2 weeks ago, and pulled a muscle in my rear end,
and am still limping. For me, I play on my radio, turn my antenna and work
whatever I need to, via REMOTE, and will continue to do so. BTW, I lost my
internet connection (slow dial up)5 times during the week-end and just
reconnected and carried on. Thanks for the time for a personal view, I just
don't happen to agree with you, and that should be OK. Remote operation is
not easy, and it has it's moments. I have been a ham since 1962, and was
upset when they went from AM to double sideband, then to ssb. ARRL Incentive
licensing, lowering the code requirement, etc. Hihi. Technology changes, and
will continue to change. Most people put up their hackles with change, any
change that takes them out of the norm. I welcome change, and have no
problem with mostly anything, because as soon as we get comfortable with
something, it will change. Hihi. I do this to be able to operate, not cheat
in a contest. Remote operators cannot come close to putting up a score that
is close to being at the rig in person.
Have a great day.

Paul K2DB