[CQ-Contest] State QSO party questions

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Tue Mar 20 15:56:44 EST 2007

Hello John,

My favorite is the North Dakota QSO Party. I think the last time it ran was January 1995. For a list of all QSO Parties, I found this website:  http://gqp.contesting.com/Links.htm  So, unfortunately, I can't put ND on my list right now.

What makes a good QSO Party?

1) Having all counties activated
2) Not a marathon event (6 ~ 12 hours is adequate)
3) Having a clear weekend (non-competition from other events)
4) Prompt log processing and results posting
5) Having a critical mass of participants to make it fun
6) "Advertising" and talking up the event to gain that critical mass
7) A simple exchange and scoring formula

I enjoy the CA QSO Party, but I favor regional QSO parties, like the upcoming 7-Land QSO party.  http://www.codxc.com  With 50 states, that only leaves 4th of July and Christmas open for non-radio family activities. With North Dakota out of the running recently, I guess you can count on Thanksgiving as a gimme.  :-)

The 7-Land Party obtains critical mass by combining many lower-population states. And California simply has enough hams to pull it off in style! The MN QSO Party is the best (although I can't mention that) because the mobile stations spend time coordinating their routes in order to activate all 87 counties in the state. There's several weeks of "well if you're going there, then I can drop that from my route and pickup this other one."

These Norskies pick the coldest weekend of the year to go mobiling, I might add. I heard one of them exclaiming "Yeah, we're rough and tough and used to hardships." I think they picked up this tradition from the Scandinavians who roast themselves in tiny shacks (sauna) and then run outside and jump into the nearest snowbank. This is not for the faint-of-heart! They learn at an early age not to stick their tongue on the flagpole.

Me? I'm half Dutch and half Czech. No further explanation needed why I sit at home and work the mobiles!

Okay, I'm drifting off topic here...

73 de Bob in (the next state west of Wisconsin)

Message: 5