[CQ-Contest] ANC-4 Noise Cancelling box

k8bb at comcast.net k8bb at comcast.net
Sun Mar 25 08:36:32 EST 2007

It is also a good idea to ensure the remote "sense" antenna cannot get
overloaded with RF from your transmitted signal. Whether your signal path
uses the TX relay or if it is fed to an RX-only path, when you TX, the
"sense" antenna is still active. If it is too near the TX antenna, the RF
could cook the ANC-4. (I have heard of this happening from a few reputable
ops ... )

I also use an ANC-4 in my shack (two, actually) but to ensure that does not
happen, the RX paths go through a relay box that opens all RX lines when I
transmit. This keeps any RF coupled from a TX antenna to an RX antenna from
re-entering any equipment in the shack. Maybe not a big deal if you have
reasonable separation between the antennas and/or are running low power, but
I had a bad experience (running high power on a city lot) a few years ago
that necessitated the precautions.

73!
Don Chisholm K8BB