[CQ-Contest] A call to action

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 13:59:35 EST 2007

>>Just look at the CK numbers you logged in the last Sweepstakes.
>
> Point taken, but that is a cultural problem, not a contesting one.
> Kids prefer computers over ham radio for any number of reasons.
>
> As I understood the question, it was how to attract more hams to
> contesting, not how to attract more people into ham radio. Two
> different things.

Not so very different at all.  The real question is how to RETAIN the new
ham's interest in ham radio. By going beyond the sheer utility of
communication to the enjoyment and interest that radio has to offer, they
will become much better hams in nearly all senses of the word.

We would all very much like for every new ham to discover the magic of ham
radio that we know, in particular the special magic of HF operating.
Contesting is an excellent path to the discovery that magic exists - the
band openings, operating finesse, the unexpected multipliers, the
comeraderie.  Once the new ham discovers magic, they are much more likely to
dive deeper.

The biggest challenge for all of us is to help them make that discovery by
giving them a helping hand whenever and wherever possible.  After all, where
would WE be if someone hadn't done that for us?

73, Ward N0AX