[CQ-Contest] A call to action

John Warren nt5c at texas.net
Sun Mar 25 16:16:37 EST 2007

Our discussions always concentrate on how to bring more young people
into ham radio, and then how to keep them interested/involved. How
can one argue with that noble objective.

But there's another potential source, especially for new contesters
and serious DXers, which we tend to gloss over.

I'll call them (us?) "mid-lifers". These are hams who maintained at
least some continuing interest and activity in the hobby while busy
with a young family, and getting their careers started. Suddenly
their careers are established, the kids are grown up, they have some
discretionary funds - and equally important discretionary time - and
all those dreams from their early years in ham radio resurface.

Our local club (CTDXCC) keeps growing steadily, but far more of the
expansion is due to mid-lifers than to young folks. I'm not arguing
about what is right, wrong, or best - just observing and reporting
the facts. So let's follow up our recruitment of young people by
going after those mid-lifers too.

John, NT5C.