[CQ-Contest] CW is over-rated

"Felipe J. Hernández" fhdez at vox-tel.com
Wed Mar 28 20:00:42 EST 2007

Mario,

Reality is, that poetry goes hand in hand with the needs of the hobby
and latest thread on how to get the new guys involved in contesting.
Sooner or later our beloved WW contests will have to include something
"new", Digital, gateweable with an internet port and  Ip address
that has greater depth that our beloved RTTY (Baudot Code)  that has
been around  way before  radio was invented.

Cw will always exist, the purist will keep it alive and  hobbies are
about that, doing something that most people dont do. On the other hand
CW Contesting with the rates and hundreds of semi-rare countries active
will be limited in the future by audience and audience many times is
judged by
 perception. Certainly  SSB  seems that  is getting a  push with the new
relaxed  Amateur Requirements around the world and the new audience in
SSB will make the perception
go against CW and make people wonder if full blown efforts are still
worthwhile... Will see...

Lets embrace whatever comes into our future, maybe the cw contest will
be more digital  than cw, but  then again  the CW points will be X4 and
will  make people
create more intelligent cw copying machines or maybe some of the new
competitive dudes will learn CW to get that EDGE and techniques that the
machine will never have.

 Futuristic Poetry ( I have to stop eating this portobello mushrooms:)"

Felipe
NP4Z