[CQ-Contest] tech challenge - SAY WHAT?

Rick Dougherty NQ4I nq4i at contesting.com
Mon May 28 16:49:01 EDT 2007

Hi Doug...leave it to you to pooh-pooh advances in the hobby...its not any
different than packet, or twenty years ago 2 meter voice spotting nets, or
for that matter transistors in the radios...wasn't it Chicken Little who ran
around in circles and kept saying "the sky is falling"....technology is here
to stay..no matter how we cry and beat our chests....or for that matter
mentally masturbate....(I love that one) ....we want to attract new
youngsters into the hobby, it will from a technology side....not a true
purist view that if he/she  didn't get a 20 wpm Extra license then they are
not fit for the hobby....

Real-time scoring is here and it will grow at a very strong pace....I was
amazed to see so many participants on the site this past weekend....they
covered almost every class of operation...my challenge was to the M-M's who
are not leading the way, but keeping their score "close to the vest" until
time to announce on 3830....why is it this way?? Being "in the loop" ( a
real nice techno phrase) during the whole contest is more important to me
and obviously others too....it's nice to see how we each stack up as the
contest is unfolding....it serves as a good motivation tool for a
M-M...can't speak for the SOAA ....I can go to my band teams and let them
know they are doing good or they need to really get with it...that is also
tension-relieving...

Still trying to figure out the Mental Thing....confused down in Dixie

de Rick nq4i