[CQ-Contest] technical challenge

Paul J. Piercey p.piercey at nl.rogers.com
Tue May 29 08:07:18 EDT 2007

This might be true if the sole purpose of their contesting was to win. Seems
to me that these guys might not have been "into it" to begin with. I know
that the two times I've logged onto the site, it's pushed me to try a little
harder; harder than I would have in the past. Besides, there's always
someone else to chase :)

> The dynamic of contests where people know how the competition
> is doing compared to contests where they don't is not a new idea.
>
> The element of NOT knowing how your competition is doing is
> not without merit.

In serial number contests, it's fairly easy to have a general idea of how
the competition is doing anyway by the serials they are giving out. There is
always the option of sending but not receiving the data so you can still be
in the dark if you want.

> Not all contests should be the same.
>
> Etc.
>
> Mark, N5OT

True. Although I am a proponent of using the website, it is not the primary
inspiration for me in a contest. I print out the summary of last year's
contest and try to beat that. I also see myself at a level, whether it be
number of Qs, points, mults, etc, and try for the next benchmark in them;
this causing a ripple effect that, once I get a certain number of mults, the
next goal is in the points category.

Anyway, it's just one of those things that are available for use but not
mandatory. Live web cams is another. Do people really watch another
station's shack during a contest?

It's all good.

73 -- Paul VO1HE