[CQ-Contest] Going in Circles

steve.root at culligan4water.com steve.root at culligan4water.com
Tue May 29 15:50:28 EDT 2007

Pete's suggestions make sense, however I don't think they address the problem the PVRC had in last year's SS. Changing the size of the circle doesn't affect the basic problem that no club can know who submitted a log with their club named on it. The question is, who ultimately decides which score's are used for the club competition? I don't see how the club could control it from their end.

When I get done with a contest effort and have my software generate a Cabrillo log, one of the questions asked is "What is your contest club?". I could put anything in there....PVRC, NCCC, MWA, SMC...and none of the officers or other members of that club would know. No one would know who sent a log in and declared their points for a club. After the results are published it would be possible to obtain a list of calls from the ARRL database for their contests.

I hesitate to add anything to workload of the log checking volunteers of the world, but would it be possible to cross-check submitted logs against a list submitted by a club prior to the contest? This would be similar to the procedure used for team competitions in the NAQP or Sprint contests. An annually submitted list would discriminate agaisnt a new member that joins during a contest "season" so perhaps this ould be done for each contest that a club wishes to participate in.

Thoughts?

73 Steve K0SR