[CQ-Contest] Assistance & Entry Status

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Tue Nov 6 11:49:11 EST 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 6:25 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

> --- "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey at nl.rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to understand why a group as seemingly
>> competitive as
>> contesters would even think of spotting stuff for their rivals to
>> benefit
>> from. They spend small (or large) fortunes setting up hugely
>> elaborate
>> stations in order to beat "the other guy" and then turn around and
>> tell "the
>> other guy" where the points are.
>
> We are not just competing "mano a mano", but also as part of
> contest clubs, and
> spots benefit all the club members.
>
> I remember the days when links between certain packet networks
> (like YCCC and
> FRC) were taken down just before a world-wide DX contest started,
> then restored
> later.  Ah, the good old paranoid days.

	Hey, I have one that might be interesting for some conversation.

	In the PAQSO, there are many cases in which a person who is tuning
through the bands in search of an open frequency or will hear an
ongoing QSO between someone and a needed county. At the end of the
QSO, said Op breaks in and asks if they can work the rare one. The
person running the frequency usually says "go right ahead", and the
other op gets that county. I'd bet I've heard that happen more than a
dozen times, so it appears to be prevalent.

	Assisted or not?

-73 de Mike N3LI -