[CQ-Contest] To be assisted or not to be assisted: that is the question. (long)

Robert Naumann w5ov at w5ov.com
Mon Nov 12 08:39:40 EST 2007

With apologies to Shakespeare and to those who don't like long messages.

Enough has been said about this and other subjects recently, and I think it
is time to put this behind us. How can we do that?

The key is a common understanding of what being assisted is, and it must be
a much narrower definition than what many seem to believe. The other
misinterpretation is around what triggers can force a single-op to cross the
line into being assisted. Instead, they more likely push him into being a
multi-op... more on that later.

The CQWW rules make fairly clear those activities allowed for a Single
Operator Assisted entry.

The rule states for Single Operator Assisted: (combining all applicable
portions)

Single band or all band; only one signal allowed at any one time; the
operator may change bands at any time. Those stations at which one person
performs all of the operating, logging, and spotting functions. The passive
(self-spotting not allowed) use of DX spotting nets is allowed.

This is pretty simple. Let's focus on what it actually says.

1) It says that *one person* performs *all* operating, logging and spotting
functions. Focus here: "One person performs all". This does not include
consulting with others, asking for help in finding multipliers, asking
someone else to hold your frequency, etc. This also does not include having
someone else at your station "assisting" you in looking for multipliers or
making qsos on other bands while you run on another band. (Yes, this gross
misinterpretation has happened.)

2) The *passive* use of spotting networks is allowed. What does passive
mean? It means that you don't actively consult with others or ask for help -
you *alone* either submit unsolicited information to the spotting network or
you utilize what is posted there unsolicited by someone else. In contrast,
active use would include posting things like "please post VY1 - I need it
for a sweep" or "spot the Zone 18 on 40 again please"!

So being assisted should not allow for the *active* use of help from others,
packet / internet clusters / spotting networks etc.

The ARRL "HF Contesting - Good Practices, Interpretations and Suggestions"
(http://www.arrl.org/contests/hf-faq.html#during) says:

	6) Spotting and Use of Spots
	a) Self-spotting
	Self-spotting is the practice of announcing your own call and run
frequency on the spotting network. A few contests have categories that
allow self-spotting, but most don't. For example, ARRL contest rules
specifically prohibit both self-spotting and requesting spotting by
other stations. It's a form of CQ-ing that does not take place on the
amateur bands, just a step away from making phone calls to solicit
contacts. Read the rules of the contest to find out if self-spotting 	is
allowed.

So, even though the ARRL rules may seem to allow for collaboration with
others:

	"2.2.1.Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements
involving other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, etc) not
physically located at the station is permitted.

It is apparent that the interpretation of this does not include self
spotting or requesting spotting by others.

I have a problem with "operating arrangements involving other individuals"
definition of what "nets" could be as part of an assisted definition since
it seems to open a loophole for active use rather than passive.

I think the ARRL rule 2.2.1 should be changed to start with the word
"Passive" so that is says that "Passive use of spotting assistance..." and
so on. Further, all contests should adopt the "passive" definition of
assistance for consistency of understanding.

So what do we call it when someone uses packet actively? He's a single
operator, but now he's collaborating actively with others to improve his
score.

Well, if we accept the CQWW definition of being assisted, it's not single
operator of any kind. So what is it?

The answer is that the single-op has become a multi-op. That's right - it's
not that he is now assisted, but instead he is now part of a virtual
multi-operator team. A single operator is enlisting others to directly help
his score. Hmmm.... we have more than one operator doing operating, logging
or spotting functions. Multi-operator!

So we have crossed the line into multi-op categories but this time we have
multiple operators at different locations! This is not permitted! So, if we
agree, anyone who does this type of operating should only submit a check log
as they are clearly not single-op of any kind, and would be a DQ in multi-op
categories for several reasons. (Multiple locations, multiple callsigns,
etc.)

What about the "hold my frequency for me for a few minutes" example? Clearly
a multi-op activity. In a one-QTH multi, the other operator would sit down
in the same chair for a while and hold the frequency while the first
operator takes a break. Aside from them being at two locations, there is no
difference in what is taking place. This is multi-op contesting. It is not
being assisted.

So what about other categories? The passive use of spotting networks should
apply across all categories that allow it - not only single op assisted. No
one should use packet actively during the contest regardless of entry
category - aside from a check log. Multi-op should not be active users since
to do so virtually adds others to your multi-op - at other locations which
is not permitted. What about multi-ops holding frequencies for other
multi-ops or single ops? This also should not be done for the same reason.

Q: So how does one become assisted?