[CQ-Contest] TQP vs CQ RTTY

Steve Harrison k0xp at dandy.net
Tue Oct 2 21:54:18 EDT 2007

At 10:12 AM 10/2/2007 -0500, Charles Morrison wrote:
>> I certainly do not remember, in the 42 years I've been contesting, EVER
>> consistently hearing, throughout a weekend, ratty below 7035, let alone
>> all the way down into the Extra class CW band. NEVER.
>
>Did all this "ratty" prevent you from working longer then your 2.5 hours for
>a total of 55 q's or are you bitching just to bitch?

Never had time to get on 40 for the TQP but was driving home from Vermont
Friday nite, trying to find a spot to have a QSO that was NOT in the "DX"
part of the CW band. Rattiers kept dropping down and down until one really
loud one showed up on 7015. He was apparently CQing, apparently made
several Qs, then as far as I could hear, CQed 5 or 10 mins with no further
answers and finally went away. Others were dropping below 7025 all night
long, and when I tuned UP the band, heard plenty of clear space further up.

You've certainly read plenty of others bitchin bout the rattiers on 40
intefering with those trying to work the TQP Saturday night. There used to
be plenty of room below 7100 for everybody only a cupla years ago with only
minor overlaps here and there, and always further up the band.

Steve, K0XP