[CQ-Contest] CWSS and daylight savings time

KI9A at aol.com KI9A at aol.com
Mon Sep 24 15:16:27 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/24/2007 10:16:59 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
k8cc at comcast.net writes:

The SS  rules do not define the contest in terms of local time.  It is
defined in universal time.  The contest starts and ends at the  appointed
universal time.  Local time is irrelevent, except if YOU  decide to view
the contest in that manner.

Actually it is VERY relevant to many, including me. We all understand the
concept of the contest beginning at 2100z. I have be at work Saturday late
morning, early afternoon on Nov 3. I'm not sure about you guys, but, outside of
radio, I NEVER, EVER use GMT!  Knowing that 2100z is going to be 4 pm local
this year, instead of 3 pm. it means a lot to many folks who have a life outside
 of radio.  For some reason, this seems to irritate some on this reflector,
and I'm not sure why, but I have received emails from 6 hams trying to tell
me 2100 is 2100, ect, blah, blah.. I KNOW THAT!

So, seeing that the CWSS begins an hour later local time this year, I  can
spend the extra hour at work, earning a living, before the contest begins.  So,
it is, indeed, very relevant to me.

CYA at 4 pm local,  3 Nov 07!

73-Chuck KI9A