[CQ-Contest] Sunspots

David Kozinn, K2DBK dkozinn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 13:06:46 EDT 2008

Unfortunately, this isn't quite as exciting as it seems. Because of the way
that sunspots are counted, the lowest number where there is even a single
sunspot present is 11, which means one group of sunspots with one spot.
Basically, you take the number of groups and multiply by ten, then add in
the number of spots. So in this case, 12 actually means one group with 2
spots.

Here's a bit more info on how this is computed:
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/SOLAR/SSN/ssn.html

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Tom Osborne <w7why at verizon.net> wrote:

> I just got these numbers from the NOAA website.  Does it mean that we went
> from 0 sunspots to 12 in 2 days?  If so, WOW!  73
> Tom W7WHY
>

> "NOAA (American) Sunspot Number
> This number is reported daily around 0225Z and reports
> the number of sunspots observed in the previous 24 hour period
>
>       The NOAA Sunspot number for 15-Apr-2008 was:   12
>

>       Most recent five days (oldest first):  0  0  0  0  11"

David, K2DBK
k2dbk.com
k2dbk.blogspot.com