[CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:33:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr at contesting.com> wrote:

> > The problem is that it will be almost impossible to detect a decisive
> > level
> > of cheating.  The statistical methods used to detect packet cheaters
> > simply
> > won't work.
> >

> > Bzzzt.
> >
> > With several network skimmers located at various places, all feeding
> > their telnet outputs to a single database, the same statistical methods used
> > to detect packet cheaters can be used to detect skimmer cheaters.
> >

> I'm not talking about the reverse beacon network, Steve - I'm talking
> about using a Skimmer to feed your logging program locally.  There will be
> no network benchmark for those.

You have missed my point.

I'm sure that the log adjudicators will be setting up a private network of
skimmers that they will log into to grab skimmer spots through the skimmer
telnet interface. That will provide a database of skimmer spots that will be
used for later detection of skimmer cheaters.

This will work every bit as well as using packet spot history to detect
packet cheaters.

73,
Steve, N2IC