[CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Wed Apr 23 01:47:02 EDT 2008

> I'm sure that the log adjudicators will be setting up a
> private network of skimmers that they will log into to grab
> skimmer spots through the skimmer telnet interface. That will
> provide a database of skimmer spots that will be used for
> later detection of skimmer cheaters.

No skimmer network can duplicate the skimmer spots I receive
from my own copy of Skimmer running on the S&P radio.  That
is totally contained in my station and not the product of any
other operator.  The use of a locally run, non-networked
Skimmer is no different than a memory keyer or computer
logging with history file and super check partial.  Perhaps
less "assistance" than  history and SCP files complied by
OTHERS!

Skimmer technology will change contesting just as the
memory keyer, DVK and computer logging have changed
contesting.  However, the technology horse is out of
the barn and half way to town - unless you are willing
to "ban" all technology to the assisted category, a
precedent has already been set  that says technology
is fine as long as it does not involve another operator
during the contest.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV