[CQ-Contest] HF Transceiver Carry-On

Mark Beckwith n5ot at n5ot.com
Tue Feb 5 23:51:29 EST 2008

K9MA asked:

> Does anyone have recent experience boarding a plane from the US with
> a small HF transceiver in carry-on luggage?

Yaa.  I usually do this a couple times a year.  No problem with security.  I
carry two IC-746PROs.  "One is my carry-on.  The other is my personal item."
They usually get special treatment at the metal detectors/x-ray machines and
my suitcases full of power supplies, cables, etc always have TSA docs in
them when I arrive at my destination, but it all gets there without
incident.  Never had anything stolen.

I carry licenses, manuals, docs, contest rules and results, etc, and have
never had to get that stuff out to convince anyone.  They always let it
through quickly (in the USA at least).  Getting radios through customs of
other countries is another story but is not what you asked.  That's where
all that documentation is more likely to be real handy.  I also have docs
from US Customs showing I am the owner of the radios dated back to 2004 (you
can get these by taking the gear by your local customs office).

I bought two of the dorkiest looking roller suitcases at Dayton last year
($15 each) - rolling document cases that happened to be the perfect size for
my Icoms with about 2" padding all around - real nice.  I dry-ran one last
week on a trip to San Diego and it fits under the seat on a Super-80.  I'm
tired of lifting the Icoms.  Rolling them will be easier.  I had been using
Pelican 1510s.  Great cases but carrying two of them together got old.
These rollers even stack.

Mark, N5OT