[CQ-Contest] Skimmer and sprints

José Nunes CT1BOH ct1boh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 10:03:06 EST 2008

G4BUO wrote
>The only contests that will be immune from the influence of Skimmer are
>the sprints - already a supreme test of CW skills.
>
>Perhaps all contests should have a compulsory QSY rule?
>
>Dave G4BUO

Dave I think you are wrong.

If there is a contest where Skimmer can really make a difference is the
Sprint.
Being a short contest, any marginal improvement, has a tremendous influence
in the final score.

Skimmer has various templates. If you choose the template that gives you the
raw text from each decoder, then you will have a visual idea of all the
spots on the bands where you can call next, and if you can succeed in that
call, make 2 QSOs in a row. The one you call and the other one where you get
called just before leaving the frequency, because of the QSY rule.

For me the key success factor for sprints in making many those 2 in a row
QSOs.
Skimmer provides you a potential of those places ready to vacate...

73
José
José Nunes
CONTEST CT1BOH - http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh