[CQ-Contest] Skimmer: look further down the road!

kr2q at optonline.net kr2q at optonline.net
Thu Feb 7 10:14:21 EST 2008

My take:

1.  SO2R will be much easier for the masses because the 2nd radio will sort of be on
auto-pilot.  You will still have to "fit" the Q into your run, if you are running.

2.  Skimmer will be very effective for SO2R where both rigs are S+P.  Little guns and
casual guys who use it should cause lots more activity on the bands.

3.  I do not see a way to "regulate" this out of SOAB unless the sponsor says that
you can't use it.  Currently, it sure meets the definition of SOAB and NOT SOA.
>From there, it is up the personal integrity of the entrant, just like running 5kw.

4.  The FUTURE. Why stop at SO2R?  Why not SO6R.  Someone will write a script to link
all of the skimmers together and it will bubble up mults first, then 3 pointers, etc.

5. How long before it will also CALL the other guy?

6.  For me, who has always run the olde fashioned way, I do not see any way for me to
continue to be competitive against guys running Skimmer.  It will be a mandatory station
accessory, as will SOxR.  There will be LOTS of US$75 checks headed to VE.

7.  In private correspondance with CT1BOH, it was noted that SOxR will now return them to
being more focused on the RUN aspect of contesting, since 2nd radio (nth radio) Q's will
be "easy."

8. Expect scores to go up.

9.  With a simple, wide open SDR for a couple bux (how much is the cheapest one...<$40?)
there is no reason to limit this to one "other" band.  The point-and-click part will link into
your top-end radio, so roofing filters will still be narrow.

10. I want you to think about this again...SO6R...for REAL!  All it takes is money and a little
bit of motivation.  Remember, the "broad front end" RX can be very inexpensive.  You'll just
move your "big" radio around for making the Q's.

O M G !!!

de Doug KR2Q