[CQ-Contest] Skimmer

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Thu Feb 7 11:11:23 EST 2008

It sounds like most contesters are saying the Skimmer technology is just another tool for the serious single operator contester to use to improve the score.  N5DX made some good comparisons to other sports which limit technology to preserve the sport and continue to test the skill of the contestant.  In my opinion the contest advisory people should look at this very closely.  Would they allow Tiger to use a putter with a computer to help him read a putt or would it ruin the game of golf?

Following is exactly the way this will eventually go.  Read it and ask yourself if this is the way you would like to see single operator (or multi-multi) contesting to go.

Stations will send something indicating they are monitoring the frequency they are on and designating it as a run frequency.  The stations (no operator needed) operating the contest have run frequencies established on all bands.  If no one is calling at a particular moment the transceiver automatically moves to the frequencies of other stations on the band maps who have designated they are monitoring a run frequency.  If it is a new multiplier the stations can automatically QSY and make a contact on the other bands that are open and needed by either or both.  The QSOs are made and automatically logged.  A check sum or some exchange is made for every contact to verify everything was exchanged accurately.  The station switches back to check run frequencies between QSOs made on other frequencies, or (better yet) if separate receiving antennas are used with filters allowing the station to hear on its run frequency when it is transmitting on another frequency on the same band,  the run frequencies can be monitored all the time.  Dupes don't show up on the list, priority is given to new multipliers based on the logic having to do with current and overall rate.  The contact between stations that are both automated can be made at perhaps several hundred WPM.

While the ham is on his couch watching NFL on Sunday afternoon, he can use his I Phone to monitor how he is doing in the "CW" contest.

I love technology when it helps me in everyday life.  This is over the top when it comes to a sporting event that is supposed to involve some skill other than being able to afford an initial setup fee.  I have an ill feeling about this like I did 30 years ago when the FCC changed the CW test to multiple choice where a monkey could pass on a lucky day.

73...Stan, K5GO