[CQ-Contest] QSL cards

Bill Parry bparry at rgv.rr.com
Tue Feb 12 08:29:13 EST 2008

I have done a lot of experimenting with printing QSL information on my QSL
card.  I think that most QSL Managers would prefer to have all the info on
one side of the card.  I can print up to three QSOs on the front side of the
card in the boxes provided.  I was pretty pleased with that until about 2
years ago.  The company that prints my card began to be careless about
getting the information printed exactly in the same place each time.  They
also don't get the cards cut the same each time. You would think this
wouldn't be a problem but an 1/8" can put QSOs "outside the box"! The QSL
Company seems to believe that this is not their problem. Sigh..

I have decided to change to a nice glossy front to the card without any
printing on the back. I will print all the QSL information on the back. With
no boxes to print in, I don't have to worry and I can print lots of QSOs on
one card. I frequently get a number of QSLs from the same station for
several different QSOs in the same bureau batch.

I will, of course, have all the information, including my call, state,
county, etc. printed on the back of the card, as well as the front. If you
going to print on a glossy card with an inkjet printer remember that the ink
will smear even when it dries!

Wouldn't it be great if someone would come up with some kind of digital code
that could be read into your computer so that you wouldn't have to type each
one in!!! OH well, LOTW is even better than that. Where in the world would I
put those 10,000 LOTW QSL cards!

Bill, W5VX