[CQ-Contest] Regarding Check Numbers...

Steve Harrisonusa k0xp at dandy.net
Wed Feb 20 11:29:46 EST 2008

>Maybe it's me, but contesting seems to be developing into something
>indistinguishable from a courtroom full of lawyers trying a case,
>and the cleverest lawyer "wins", regardless of the merits of the case.

Actually, it's always been so; it's just that with e-mail reflectors like
this, everybody can start kibitzing and moaning and groaning about how
they got snookered, or beat out, or otherwise flummoxed, and expound
changing rules that confounded them during a contest, within minutes after
the dang thang is over, right here on CQ-CONTEST. And get an
almost-immediate reaction, pro or con.

Doesn't anyone rember all the kibitzing and moaning and groaning that used
to take place at local contest club meerings right after a major contest,
and at Visalia and Dayton and other venues where contesters gathered, back
before the internet?? And all the letters to the editor in NCJ and QST and
elsewhere on the exact same topics?? You don't see that anywhere near as
much any longer because by the time those events roll around, the issue
has been talked to death on CQ-CONTEST  ;o\  In fact, I'd venture to guess
that were it not for the internet, then the time required to do all that
kibitzing and moaning and groaning would cut into the time required for
the Dayton Contest University to the point where there'd be NO TIME for
the University to occur  8-)

Steve, K0XP

LOOK: there's a dead horse! Let's go beat it!