[CQ-Contest] Good contact, back to you

James Cain cainjim at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 23 08:33:49 EST 2008

Answer to the question below:

Too much verbiage. Here's what the March QST "tutorial" (page 73) suggested:

"Kilowatt X-Ray Nine X-Ray, you're 5-9 Kilowatt, QSL?"

"QSL, You're 5-9 Connecticut, QSL?"

No need for "you're" and no need for "QSL."

I was never a 'phone operator but I quickly learned about brevity when I trained as a high-altitude air traffic controller 35 years ago. That was life-and-death, just like ham radio contesting.

Watching two 500-mph jets closing on your radar at 14 miles per second is just like listening to somebody trying to steal your contest run frequency while some idiot strings out his exchange to you. Stress kills.

Jim Cain, K1TN/2

"My first reaction to Jim's message (after getting the QST out to read p73) was:  "HUH? What's wrong with the example provided?

"It's still my reaction after going to the store, buying groceries, and "stopping at the Post Office to cash a money order.

"Help me out here... what am I missing (he says, baiting the thread)?

"73 de Bob - KØRC in MN"